A Course in TILE Composer typically consists of multiple units, with multiple lessons in each - so it can take some time to create a brand new course:
TILE will soon have simple "wizard" tool for setting up a new course; until then follow the steps below.
1. Currently, a Course in TILE is the same as a "Product." So go to the Products page in the side menu.
2. The Products page loads. Select the Add Product button.
3. The Product settings panel opens to the General tab. Set the following:
a. Enter the course Name.
b. Leave the Tracks Completion Logic set to 'User Directed,' or change it to 'In Sequence' if you want to force learners to complete the Tracks/Units in order.
c. Enter a Description of the course for the learners.
4. Click the Features tab, and then set the Portal Features to "My Journey (Tracks)."
Leave the rest of the settings as they are and click Save. Your new course appears in the list.
5. Now it's time to add Units to your course. These are referred to as "Tracks" in TILE, so select Tracks in the side menu.
6. The Tracks page opens. Select the Add Track button.
7. The Track settings panel opens to the General tab. Set the following:
a. Enter the Track/Unit Name.
b. Leave the Courses/Skills Completion Logic set to 'User Directed,' or change it to 'In Sequence' if you want to force learners to complete the lessons in this unit in order.
c. Enter a Description of the unit (for internal reference only - feel free to leave it blank).
d. Set the Position you want this lesson to appear in the Course.
e. Select Save.
8. The new Track/Unit appears in the list. Repeat steps 6-7 for each Unit you want in your course.
9. The only thing left to do now is to Lessons to each unit in the course. These are currently referred to as "Courses/Skills" in TILE, so select Courses/Skills in the side menu.
NOTE: The TILE architecture and terminology are currently being revised. Soon this menu item will read "Lessons."
10. Click the Add Course button. (Don't worry about the terminology, this will really add a "Lesson.")
11. The "Course Creation Wizard" loads. Again, don't let the terminology confuse you - this tool will soon be replaced and we're just going to use steps 1 and 4 of this wizard to create a lesson.
a. Enter the lesson Name in the 'What is the name of your learning program?' field. Then click on Step 4. Finish in the navigation bar.
12. On the 'Finish' page, click the Finish button in the lower right corner.
13. The new lesson appears on the 'Courses/Skills' page.
Repeat steps 10-12 to add more lessons to the Unit.
14. Use the Track field to add Lessons to a different Unit.
(back to top)